Stop Procrastinating And Do Nothing
July 17, 2013 1 Comment
We all do it. We plan a productive busy day…………. and then do absolutely nothing.
It’s just so easy doing nothing. It’s more fun. Doing nothing involves exactly that, doing nothing. Whereas doing something involves effort, focus and energy. Whatever it is can wait until later on can’t it? Or if we don’t get around to it today then tomorrow will do surely?
Then there are those times when we kid ourselves that we’ve been productive when in fact we haven’t.
The following link will take you to Formal Sweatpants, a site run by cartoonist Josh Mecouch. In this cartoon he is distracted by Trolley the procrastination Troll. Lured away from Trolley to a blog about productivity he spends hours doing…. well I’ll let you read the cartoon and find out.
So if it’s that easy to be distracted or delay starting something then how do we guard against it?
Eight Tips To Avoid Procrastination
1. Set aside a specific time slot to work on the project that you want to work on.
2. Avoid all distractions – Radios/TVs/MP3 players all need to be switched off.
3. Have a clear idea of what you want to achieve before you start work. Write it down. Tick off your progress as you go.
4. If you’ve using a laptop or PC only open your web browser for research if you really need to. Once you’ve found the answer to your question, close that page immediately.
6. Tell yourself that you won’t stop until your work is done. Remind yourself that if you don’t do it now you’ll have to do it some other time. Get it out of the way.
7. Promise yourself a reward when you finish the task, but only when you finish it. If the job wasn’t completed then don’t take the reward.
8. If the job’s a big one, break it into smaller chunks and spread the work over several days, giving yourself a deadline for completion.
There’s an old saying ”Procrastination is the thief of time.“
Don’t let procrastination steal yours.
(Right, I’m off to watch Netflix)
- The Procrastinator’s Guide To Getting It Together (refinery29.com)
- to fellow procrastinators (graceyck.wordpress.com)
- Tips to Help Stop Procrastinating (on Your Taxes) (turbotax.intuit.com)
- Six Scientifically Supported Ways to Crush Procrastination (amhec.wordpress.com)
- Procrastination (harwoodda.wordpress.com)
- Procrastination (conflictedparadise.wordpress.com)